top of page
  • Susan Brown

Saturday in Chiang Mai

Tired and footsore, but home again.

Friday ended another profitable week at the Preacher’s school.  Paul and Bro. Camp are working with about 20 men, teaching them the Bible and training them to be preachers.   Some are already established pastors, but others are young and new in their journey.

My week was uneventful, other than my ongoing battle with the ants, and starting an English class with the ladies on staff at the children’s home.  I have Di Se, Se Me, and Ta Ka Ti (Fon) and yesterday Lu Ti, the lady who cares for the pigs, joined us.

We had to pay the condo bill for January and do some shopping, so we decided to spend the night Friday night in Chiang Mai.

Why are we keeping the condo when we don’t live there anymore?  That’s another long story that involves a lapse in communication — something that happens to us a lot here.  We intended to rent it for only one month while we checked into the feasibility of moving to the mission.  Unfortunately, we wound up with a three-month lease — and  they wouldn’t release us from it.  We figured we might as well make use of it and use the faster Internet.

Paul didn’t enjoy the night too much, because the bed is as hard as a rock.  We had a foam pad to make it bearable, but had moved it out to mission.  I, however, slept like a baby.

Saturday morning we used the Internet to Skype and see our children and grandchildren. What a  blessing!  I just wish Skype had a “hug” function.  We are looking forward to the day we have WiFi at the mission.  There has still been no progress made on replacing the stolen telephone line.

We walked over to the mall and did some shopping and picked up some groceries for the Camps.  After lunch at KFC, we caught a taxi and started our wandering way home.

First we had to get to the day market, but the taxi drivers did not want to take us.  We later found out there was a massive traffic jam there, so I don’t blame them! At last we found a red taxi who agreed to take us.  We chatted with a young man from China on the way.  After he got off, we visited with a man from Russia.  That’s how it often is — a taxi ride can give you glimpses of life across the globe.  Paul and I discussed how we need tracts to hand out — both in English and in Thai.

Once we got to the Day Market (which is called Kad Luang — and which I can now pronounce so they understand me), it wasn’t long before we found a white taxi to take us to Hoe Nam Rin — the suburb of Mae Rim where we live. I have faithfully memorized.the name by now!  The ride out was fairly miserable.  It took us forever to get out of Chiang Mai because the traffic was hideous.  The taxi was packed to the gills and had people hanging off the back.  None of them were interested in talking to us.I had to crane my neck to look out the window directly behind me to watch for landmarks — which I have also faithfully memorized.

“There’s the first temple,” I would say. “It’s the one with the dragons.  The one where I got off on the wrong stop is next.”  Or “There’s the sign advertising “We make paper from elephant dung and other natural fibers.”  (That will cure you of making spitwads!)

Finally I said, “Get ready to ring the bell.  There’s our temple.” (Not something I ever thought I would say!) We overshot the street by a few steps, but overall a success.

Then all we had to do was walk a mile up the up-tilted road carrying our bags.  I’m thankful we are in good health and could do that without problem.  Now we are back. I have a load of laundry going, and we are unpacked.  We’re glad to be back home in our cool, quiet room in the mango orchard!

Blessings from Thailand,


1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All



bottom of page